Pregnant Belly Cake

posted in: cooking | 23

Pregnant Belly Cake - threadedtogether.comWhat a FUN new cake I made today!!!  A friend in the neighborhood is pregnant with her second child…a boy.  Gee, imagine that…me with a pregnant friend!  She has an older son, but there are several years between the two children and she and her husband are starting fresh with all the fun goods and excitement with baby number two!  Today is her baby shower and my wonderful friend who is throwing it, enlisted my services to make a baby shower cake.  We looked in books and magazines and just couldn’t really decide what to do.  Our friend, J, is not doing the uber baby theme for the little guy.  No pastels, no ducks, no choo choos.  Though I would be the exact same way, it also made it a little hard to choose a cake!

My friend spoke to J’s sister and after they did some searching online they decided on this pregnant belly cake.  I have to admit, at first I didn’t think it would be something down J’s alley, but sis knows best!  As I started working on it, my first thoughts were “Oh, I don’t know that this is going to come out as pretty as the pictures they found!”  As you can see in step one with the chocolate belly and yellow boobs, it wasn’t exactly the shining example of a beautiful cake shape.  But lo…I trudged on and continued to the next few steps.

Pregnant Belly Cake - threadedtogether.com

I was very proud of my awesome buttercream crumb layer and proceeded to make my usual marshmallow fondant.  I dyed it with plenty of Wilton Teal food coloring and draped it over the figure.

Pregnant Belly Cake - threadedtogether.com

“Okay, maybe this won’t be so bad after all.”

Pregnant Belly Cake - threadedtogether.com

I trimmed the edges and added a little bit of detail before dealing with the brown fondant.  I have recently discovered that making brown fondant, and any brown icing for that matter, is not an easy task.  Basically, if you want a dark brown, you need to add chocolate to the mix.  The brown icing coloring is just not enough to do the job.  Some recommend melting chocolate and kneading it in to your fondant.  Others say to add cocoa powder.  I chose the former and boy was it messy!  I’ll try the latter next time, just to be able to compare easy of mixing.  I used the chocolate to create the trim on the pregnant cake’s bustline, as well as to add some accents to the dress.

Pregnant Belly Cake - threadedtogether.com

I. AM. SO. HAPPY. with the way this turned out as you can see at the top of the page.  It if weren’t 1:20 in the morning right now, I would be sending pictures of it over my phone to everyone I know!  I cannot wait to bring it to the party tomorrow and I hope everyone loves it…especially J!

Linking up to:
Photobucket The Girl Creative Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!Party Button

23 Responses

1. envy my cooking

This is too cute. we would love to feature you if you would like. Just come check us out and become a follower. than email us anything you would like us to feature you in!!

2. Jennifer

This cake is awesome!

3. Allie

OMG! That is FABULOUS! Excellent job!
    You should come link this up to my Making IT With Allie Link Party.
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

• Marissa

Thank you! I got right on top of that! Love your site and can’t wait to do more exploring!

4. Kendall

This is AMAZING! Great job! It’s seriously so cute :)
    -Kendall
    {songbirdsandbuttons.blogspot.com}

• Marissa

thanks! your site looks like another awesome resource!

5. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jen, Janice Dusseau Jones. Janice Dusseau Jones said: RT @twokidsandamap: Love this baby shower cake of a pregnant belly made by my sister, Marissa! http://bit.ly/99ya1T // Funny & Cute! […]

6. Judy

Oh my word! That turned out so cool! The colors turned out perfect and I just can’t help smiling when I look at your cake :)

• Marissa

Thank you…I was a little worried about the brown not being dark enough, but I think it turned out okay! It is always nice to make someone’s day even a little bit brighter :o)

7. Jalinda

I love it, too cute and unique!

• Marissa

I am so glad I was able to make it for my friend…it was way better than just doing a plain old cake!

8. kimbowest

oh. how fun is this! love it!

• Marissa

thank you! I try to post cakes once every week or two, so come back for more!

9. lisa d.

What a cute and creative cake!

• Marissa

Thanks! I wish I could say I came up with it myself, but I definitely had to go searching images online for inspiration :)

10. happyfamilytravels

This cake is SOOO cute – great job!!

11. kelly

What pan did u use for the belly and boobs

• Marissa

I used glass mixing bowls (oven safe) to bake all three pieces. A large one for the belly and soup size ones for the chest.

12. michelle

what bowls did you use to make the boobs and belly in? and how much cake batter did you use for the belly and what temperature and time did you bake it aT?

• Marissa

I used regular glass mixing bowls (Pyrex) that I have around the house. I want to say the large one for the belly is about 12″ in diameter at the top. The batter, of course, depends on the size bowls you have. I fill them about 1/3-1/2 full and lower the baking temperature to 300 or 325. This can almost double the baking time sometimes.

13. Tamara

I was wondering if you put extra icing on the top part of the cake to make it rounder? Because all bowls of course have a flat bottom so they don’t roll around (; but I wasn’t sure if I needed to add something to the top, also! Did you use one of those cake levelers? To make the bottom part of the cake lay flat or was it okay just leaving it a bit rounded. I don’t want to hav to buy the leveler things if I don’t have to, thank you (:

• Marissa

Tamara,

No, I did not put extra icing on the top of the cake, at least not intentionally. I do know what you are talking about though and the flat part of the bowl has never been a problem. Same with leveling the top part of the cake after it has baked. I never do that either and have not had issues. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Marissa