After seeing Jen’s post a few weeks ago, I became inspired.
And then I got scared.
And then I backed off.
And then I consulted with my husband.
And he was pretty darn excited about it. Yay!
We started making our list of the 52 things and areas we wanted either organized or de-cluttered (or just cleaned up). We have a baby (he’s almost one!) and we both work full time so it’s often very difficult to balance work, house chores, play time, relax time, sleep (what’s that?) and still have time to work on things around the house. But…if we attack one item a week, I think we should be able to do it. Granted, some of our items are bigger projects than others, but we’ll have to ‘borrow time’ from the easy weeks. We’re still pretty excited…me more than him, but that’s okay.
So here’s my list:
- Bottom of the pantry Week 1
- Laundry Room shelf Week 2
- Kitchen Junk Drawer Week 3
- My dresser drawers What Week Is This?
- Bathroom cabinets Week 4
- Office Closet
- Kitchen Cabinets
- Master Bedroom Closet Week 8
- Safe (Hub’s area)
- Scrap-booking Supply Container
- Sewing Project Container
- Files (inside and outside) Week 9
- Tool Box
- Tool Shelves
- Dining Room Week 6
- Bathroom Drawer & Medicine Cabinet
- Dog’s Kennel & Basket What Week Is This?
- Lane’s Closet (the ALMOST one-year old)
- End Tables
- Back Porch Week 7
- Shelves in Garage
- Tool Bench in Garage
- Recycling Bins/Cans Week 5
- Front Linen Closet What Week Is This?
- Gift Wrapping Containers What Week Is This?
- Front Hall Closet What Week Is This?
- Ryan’s Mustang
- Jewelry Boxes
- Middle of Garage (Yes, we give it its own name)
- Sermon Notes
- China Cabinet
- Halloween, Easter, and Thanksgiving Decorations
- My Car
- Craft Idea Book What Week Is This?
- ‘Junk’ Tub in Garage
- Christmas Decorations
- Ribbon Supply
- Ledge in Foyer
- Cross Stitch Supply Container
- Out of Season Clothes
- Fabric Stash (This will be a doozy)
- Beading Supply Container
- Photos and Framed Pictures
- Medicine Cabinet in Kitchen Week 10
- Office Supplies
- CD & Movie Collection
Technically you could argue that I’ve already started…we’ll just call it a jump start. Two weeks ago the hubs went to visit his grandpa out of town. With him gone, I decided to reorganize my craft room a bit. It wasn’t a huge overhaul, but it’s a huge improvement as far as I’m concerned. I’m definitely not done with it, but I think it’s a great start.
I bought a simple set of metal shelves from Target. My biggest fear was that they wouldn’t be sturdy enough to withstand the baby pulling up on them. If you have similar worries, don’t. While searching for something, I turned around and he was pulling and yanking on them and they weren’t even moving. I got them loaded up and they’re still just as sturdy. Score.
I then ventured to the garage for empty formula canisters. I’ve been saving these like crazy because I just knew there had to be something I could use them for. I printed out ‘labels’ in various cute fonts onto scrapbook paper and used double sided tape to cover the cans.
Personally, I’m of the ‘do what works for you’ mentality. This system may not work for everyone, but it’s going quite well for me. I have a serger, an embroidery machine, and two sewing machines (one small, one industrial). The machine I use most is the industrial machine, but it only sews forward and backward. For this reason, I typically only use my smaller machine for decorative stitches. These shelves hold all three machines beautifully. Like I said, I’m really lovin’ it so far.
Not sure yet what I’m going to officially tackle first, but here’s a sneak peak at some of the ‘larger’ projects on the list…don’t judge.