A few days ago, I asked on the newly minted Threaded Together Facebook page which salad recipe you wanted to see from the Gooseberry Patch 101 Farmhouse Favorites book. I will try to share both, but the Apple-Walnut Chicken Salad won and, boy, am I glad!
Do you ever get in a salad rut? You want to eat salads and you know that salads are good for you but you just can’t make them taste as good at home as they do in the restaurant? That is the way that I have been feeling lately. I have been buying all sorts of wonderful veggies, dried fruit and nuts but I just can’t bring myself to put together a salad and be satisfied with it. This Apple-Walnut Chicken Salad has pulled me out of my funk and I am going to have to keep myself from making this for lunch every day this week.
- 6 cups mixed field greens or baby greens
- 2 cups deli roast chicken, shredded
- 1/3 cups crumbled blue cheese (I used feta because I had it in my fridge. I didn't want to buy blue cheese just for this salad!)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 Fuji or Gala apple, cored and chopped (I used Gala)
- 2 T frozen apple juice concentrate
- 1 T. cider vinegar
- 1 T. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1/4 t. garlic powder
- 1/3 cups olive oil
- In a large bowl, toss together all of the salad ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together all dressing ingredients.
- Pour dressing over salad.