My slow-cooker and I have a serious relationship. I adore my slow-cooker. I love that I can put a meal in it during the day and then I have a full meal when it is time for dinner. Gooseberry Patch sent me one of their latest cookbooks, Slow Cooking All Year Round. I usually use my slow cooker in the winter for soups and chili but I used my slow cooker the rest of the year for convenience and so I don’t have to turn on the oven.
I have wanted to try lasagna in my slow-cooker ever since a friend told me about it. I just never got around to it. When I saw a recipe for it in the book, I knew I had to try it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 26oz jars chunky tomato, garlic and onion pasta sauce
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 T. Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T. grated Parmesan Cheese
- 16 oz. container small-curd cottage cheese
- 8 oz. pkg oven-ready lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups shredded Colby Jack cheese
- ***I made a few changes to the recipe so that I was able to use what I had on hand. Instead of cottage cheese, I used ricotta.
- Brown beef in a skillet, remove from heat and drain. Stir in sauce, water and seasonings. In a bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and cottage cheese. In a lightly greased slow-cooker, spread some of the sauce mixture. Layer with noodles (break them if you need to), cheese mixture and both kinds of mixtures. Repeat layers and end with shredded cheese. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until noodles are tender. Let stand with slow-cooker off for about ten minutes before serving.
- I have to say that don't feel like cooking the lasagna in the slow-cooker was any less work than cooking it in the oven. The only step I was able to skip was boiling the noodles.
Both of my kids gobbled it up. We had more than enough for leftovers so I ended up freezing it for another meal on another day. The book is full of recipes for all four seasons and we have been having fun trying them out. Bananas Foster is next on the list!
Do you want to win a copy of the book for yourself?
How to Enter
We will be giving away ONE copy of the cookbook to one lucky winner. If you would like a chance to win, leave us a comment in this post and tell us about your favorite slow-cooker meal. Leave your comment before May 18, 2013 at 9:59 p.m. CST.
Don’t worry about being creative in your comment, the winner will be chosen by a random number generator. Please make sure that you fill out the required fields by putting your first name in the name field and your email address in the email address field. We do not share email addresses and you will not receive emails from Threaded Together unless you win.
We will choose ONE winner randomly and announce the results here on Threaded Together sometime after May 18, 2013.
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the 50 states and the District of Columbia and who are 18 years of age at time of entry. For this giveaway, entrants can enter 1 time. We will disqualify any entries that we believe are generated by scripts and other automated technology and Threaded Together assumes no responsibility for late or misdirected entries due to SPAM, technological issues or for prizes lost in transit.No substitutions including for cash are permitted, except Threaded Together reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value for any prize. Void where prohibited by law. Winners shall be responsible and liable for all federal, state, and local taxes on the value of their prize. Relatives of Threaded Together are no eligible to win.
Because this is a family site and we get a lot of spam comments, all comments on this site are moderated. If you comment doesn’t show up right away, don’t worry!