If you have only eaten Chex® Mix from the bag bought at the grocery store, you don’t know what you are missing. Nothing beats an awesome homemade batch, nor the smell that wafts through the house while it is baking. I have been making my version of Chex® Mix for over a decade and I must say, “I have never eaten a better batch.”
Mine is based on the Original Chex® Party Mix recipe that was made by the company, but I have made several changes that take it from a great recipe to…KAPOW! The prep work is quick and easy, but you do need to set aside about two hours to roast it. I have tried the microwave method and did not care for it at all.
The main differences in my Chex Mix:
- I roast mine in a pan for 1.5 hours
- I basically double the cereal mixture and triple the butter and spice mixture
- The main secret – I use a lot of extra Worcestershire (who the heck invented the spelling for this sauce???)
- Other things to add that I have had great success with are gold fish, Kix cereal, Pringles sticks, etc…get creative!
- 6 cups Corn Chex® cereal
- 6 cups Rice Chex® cereal
- 6 cups Wheat Chex® cereal
- 2 cups peanuts (mixed nuts if you desire)
- 4 cups bite-size pretzels
- 3 cups garlic-flavor bite-size bagel chips or regular-size bagel chips, broken into 1-inch pieces (my favorite part of the mix!)
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter
- 6 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- More Worcestershire sauce to sprinkle on while baking
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Measure cereal, nuts, pretzels, and bagel bites into a roasting pan. In a separate bowl, melt butter in the microwave.
- Mix in spices and Worcestershire sauce.
- Crap. Run to the store because you didn’t make sure you had the seasoned salt. :/
- Add the seasoned salt.
- Pour butter mixture of the top of the cereal mixture and stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Place on middle shelf of baking rack and bake for 1 to 1.5 hours, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Every time you stir the mix during baking, sprinkle about another tablespoon of Worcestershire on top first.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on paper towels or brown paper before storing in several air tight containers.
Bring this to share at your next event (if it makes it out of the house) and you will be the hit of the party!