Not only is this recipe easy and delicious, but it is also very easy to alter to suit your taste. You don’t have to peel the potatoes. There is no milk necessary (though there is a whole lotta butter). The measurements are nice and round and make it simple to size this recipe up or down to feed just a few people or a huge crowd.
I cooked 20 pounds of these potatoes in four batches today to feed to my husband’s helicopter squadron during their Thanksgiving Turkey Fry at work. Though I had to be around the kitchen for the better part of the afternoon, it wasn’t too big of a muss or fuss.
If you are looking for a good potato side for Thanksgiving, this one will definitely have your crowd raving!
- 5 lbs red potatoes
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces grated Romano cheese (Parmesan-Romano blend is fine)
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. In the meantime, chop potatoes into one-inch chunks.
- Place potatoes into water and return to a boil.
- Boil until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, butter, cheese and garlic and mash to desired consistency using a mixer.
- Serve while still hot.