Basket Weave Ear Warmers

posted in: marissa, yarn craft | 15

***Errata Report!***  I uploaded a new version of the pattern February 2, 2014.  If you downloaded it before then, please take a moment to download it again.  There were problems in the increase section and I added a stitch count for clarity.

Winter is in full swing here, though you would never know it from our ridiculously warm weather in South East Virginia.  December snuck up on me and now I am spending the better part of my days feverishly knitting all I possibly can before the cold weather really hits (which is supposedly next week).

A normal saying around the house right now is “just let me finish this row.”  My husband has decided to make a preemptive strike and just say it himself when he asks me to do something.  Marissa, can you change the baby’s diaper?

basketweaveearwarmers“Just let me finish this row.”

Are you ready to go to bed?

“Just let me finish this row.”

Marissa, the house is burning down.

“OK.  Just let me finish this row.”

Projects have included hats, cowls, scarves, head bands, and more, for a few friends and family.  Some things I have knitted from patterns, others I have created on my own.  Today, I finally took the time to write down the pattern so that I can share it with any other interested knitters.

The pattern for my Basket Weave Ear Warmers is for a headband/ear warmers.  The buttons can be warn in the back or on the side, but you may want to throw your flapper dress on if you wear it with the buttons on the top!

At first glance, this pattern may seem a bit ridiculous, but it is quite easy. The detailed pattern is necessary mostly to deal with the slipped edges on each row. It also takes care of the increases and decreases to have the nice pull together around the buttons. The piece is mostly knitted in a basic basket weave pattern. The band is so fantastic; I am hoping to turn this into a full hat soon. But first, I think my next project is going to be sizing this down to fit my daughters.  Stay tuned for more hopefully!

You can also save this pattern to your www.ravelry.com library by clicking HERE!

Marissa

15 Responses

1. Koleen

on the earwarmer pattern is the sl2 purlwise or knitwise

thanx

• Marissa

Great question! Thanks for asking. It is purlwise every time.

2. Vicki

Can you tell me what the stitch count(s) should be for rounds 14 and 15? I keep getting to rnd 15 and I don’t know if I have a couple of stitches too few or a stitch too many- but I keep making the same error, so thought I would ask. Thanks! :)

• Marissa

Vicki, sorry for the delay in response…I had to go back and rework the pattern to be sure. I also found a couple of issues in the increase section. If you download the pdf again, you will have the correct pattern and I included a stitch count. Thanks for the question!

• Vicki

Thank you SO much for doing that- it is so gracious of you to not only offer the free patterns but also to update it. It’s a lovely pattern and again, thanks for freely sharing it. v

3. Shelia

Thank you for this pattern. I have been having lots of hand pain so I have not knit anything lately but tomorrow I believe I shall set myself to making this. Its lovely.

4. Beth

I feel silly….but cannot for the life of me find the pattern for your basket weave ear warmer! I think I am just going in circles! Can you help me please?
    Thanks!

5. Heidi

Hi There,
    I love this pattern and I’ve started working it. I’m on row 10. My 21st stitch leaves me with only 1 stitch at the end to purl instead of 2. What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks, Heidi

• Marissa

I haven’t worked this pattern in a long time Heidi! I’ll try to work it up this evening and see what’s wrong. By my count right now, it seems like the problem is the pattern, not you. I’ll get back to you soon!

• Marissa

Okay Heidi,
      I have worked the first few rows and my best guess is that first p1, shouldn’t be there at all. I have been meaning to rewrite this pattern for quite sometime now and you have pushed me in the right direction. I recommend using this for row 10 instead…R10: wyif Sl2, *p1f&b, p1, k1f&b, k1; rep from * to last 2 sts, end p2 (22 sts)

6. Heidi

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! I’ll give that a go.

7. Heidi

Hi Marissa,
    First and foremost, thank you for being brave enough to post a pattern. I found a couple of other errors–so far–beyond the one I asked about on row 10.

Row 15 has the same error at row 10 with an extra stitch that needs to go away. I did the same thing with row 15 that you suggested with row 10…I deleted the first K1 after the two slipped stitches.

Next, on rows 8 and 10 of the basket weave, you mention “wyif.” I tried this 4 times thinking I was doing something wrong, then I realized there was an error in the pattern that caused the lovely edge you designed to get mottled. This should read wyi*b*, not wyif. I changed it to wyib, and the edge reappeared.
    HEidi

• Marissa

Heidi, thank you SO MUCH for your gracious help. Admittedly, I started working on this the other night and was getting so aggravated I had to put it down. I don’t care for the way I originally wrote the increases in this pattern. Rather than put a bandaid on it, I think it needs a re-write. I hadn’t noticed the “wyif” problem, but I will check that out as well while I do the rewrite. I really do appreciate your input and how nicely you contributed! I apologize for the struggle with the pattern…I get SO frustrated when I make someone else’s pattern and it has errors like this. Just ask my husband how much I complain to him. :) I hope you were able to get a nice final product.

8. Heidi

Hi Marissa,
    You’re most welcome. Thank you for the lovely pattern. I know it takes a lot of time and effort to post something like this.

I found a few more minor errors in the decrease, but worked around them. They had to do with stitch count.

I ended up with a beautiful headband that I plan to give a friend for Christmas, and I’m thankful for your pattern.
    Heidi