Back in December, I shared a recipe for small batch homemade lip balm. I flavored it with peppermint and the lip balm was a hit. Everyone I shared it with has asked for some more! Since then, I have really wanted to experiment with new flavors but just haven’t gotten around to it. I finally decided to make a summer flavor.
Strawberry have been on our brains here at Threaded Together but I decided to change it up a bit and go with a strawberry lemonade flavor. I looked at essential oils but decided to go a much less expensive route and try food extracts this time. What resulted was a subtle summery flavor.
I also made a few changes in the small batch recipe. I wanted to see if I could make the lip balm a little heartier so that it would not melt as easily. I have found that leaving it in your pocket on a warm day is not the best idea! I still won’t leave it in my pocket or car on a hot summer day, but I think I like the extra added beeswax better.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tbsp and 2 tsp of beeswax
- 4 tsp strawberry extract
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- Melt the coconut oil and beeswax together.
- Add the extract. I recommend adding the extract one teaspoon at a time to determine what type of flavor you would like. For strawberry lemonade, add the extracts 2 strawberry for every 1 lemonade (2:1 ratio).
- Using an eye dropper, drop into the container of your choice.
Latest posts by Jen (see all)
- Summer Reading at the Library – A Printable Game Board and Bingo Card - April 28, 2015
- Save Time with the Shower Shimmy - January 11, 2015
- Microwave English Toffee - January 1, 2015