I’m not sure what happened to the “lazy” days of summer — I’m busier than ever at work, Jen and Marissa are in the middle of pretty major moves, and when I look at the calendar I see that it is July 19. Really? Already? How can that be? It’s true — summer is here, and rapidly passing by. You may be lucky enough to be harvesting your home garden’s summer bounty. Visits to the local produce market, Bailey’s Produce and Nursery, and Palafox Market, my local farmer’s market, have provided me with an abundance of fresh summer produce! I reach for this quick and easy bean salad recipe when I want something a little bit different — it is one of my favorites.
Cook green beans in lightly salted water just until tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Drain and rinse under cold water to halt the cooking process (you want them to stay a nice bright green color).
Combine the beans and onions.
If Jen and Marissa were just a little bit closer, I would deliver a bowl of salad to them in their new homes! Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. green beans, washed and cut to desired length
- 1 can dark kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- ¼ cup oil (vegetable, olive, or canola)
- 3 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Cook green beans in lightly salted water just until tender, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Drain and rinse dark kidney beans.
- Thinly slice red onion.
- Combine beans and onions.
- Combine sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add dressing to bean mixture and toss to coat. Refrigerate or serve immediately.