As mentioned previously, I moved up to a larger cottage and cleaned out a storage unit. Jen and Marissa are in the middle of moves and are challenging each other to more cleaning out (I’ve cleaned out just about enough, thank you very much!). But, I had a pile of pillows (12 to be exact) that had been in the storage unit, which would have been cost-prohibitive to replace. However, they needed to be recovered before I could put them to use. In an earlier post, I provide directions for a quick and easy-to-sew pillow cover — It was time to get to work!
My 1929 cottage came “minimally” furnished (a couple of large “antique” pieces which the landlord insisted had to stay in place), including a REALLY ugly gold damask couch. I took care of that gold immediately with a Sure Fit cover (this is not a paid endorsement, I just love them; I have bought several Sure Fit covers through the years, after buying a number of non-Sure Fit covers — they fit well, wash beautifully, and I’ve even had people ask if I had bought a new couch!). I started in the living room — I used an old fashioned red striped pillow ticking fabric to cover these pillows. Not pictured is a small rectangular pillow on an extra dining room chair in the corner which I covered with blue ticking fabric (living room, dining room and kitchen are yellow, red, and blue).
Then I moved on to the guest room which has kind of blue/dark red old fashioned nautical theme …
I think I did a pretty good job of “transforming” my old pillows and redecorating on a budget — $30 for fabric and about 6 hours of sewing (30 minutes per pillow).