This recipe from Jamie Robinson of Mesquite, Texas, Slow-Hand BBQ Chicken Sandwiches, was so easy I don’t know why I didn’t think of it years ago! BBQ chicken, whether cooked outside on the grill or oven baked inside, has always been a favorite at my house. Both take time and create heat. I know that at least in our local area, families are taking advantage of the “tax-free” weekend to do back-to-school shopping (I know this because when I drove by the mall parking lot yesterday it looked like the week before Christmas!). This recipe is one that would be a treat to come home to after a day of dragging the kids around to buy paper, pencils, and shoes! And, while school may be starting up soon, it is still “summer” according to the calendar and the temperatures. It may only be in the 80s this week, but the humidity is high and I love having a meal ready to eat without heating up the kitchen.
- 3 to 4 lb. chicken
- 18-oz. bottle barbecue sauce
- 1 cup water
- 6 to 8 hamburger buns, split
- Place chicken in a slow cooker.
- Combine barbecue sauce and water in a bowl; mix well.
- Drizzle sauce mixture over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 8 hours, or until chicken is very tender.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker; shred, discarding skin and bones.
- Serve chicken in buns, topped with sauce from slow cooker.
- To make this even "quicker" (if there is such a thing in a "slow" cooker), I used two large skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about ½ a bottle of barbecue sauce and ½ cup of water. Cook on high for 6 hours. Using two forks, shred the chicken, and return to the slow cooker. Turn down to low until ready to serve. My version probably made enough for at least four servings on hamburger buns.
THIS GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED. THANK YOU FOR VISITING OUR SITE!
Do you want to win a copy of the book for yourself?
How to Enter
We will be giving away ONE copy of the cookbook to one lucky winner. If you would like a chance to win, leave us a comment in this post and tell us about your favorite back-to-school time saving slow cooker recipe. Leave your comment before August 15, 2014 at 9:59 p.m. Eastern Time.
Don’t worry about being creative in your comment, the winner will be chosen by a random number generator. Please make sure that you fill out the required fields by putting your first name in the name field and your email address in the email address field. We do not share email addresses and you will not receive emails from Threaded Together unless you win.
We will choose ONE winner randomly and announce the results here on Threaded Together sometime after August 15, 2014.
No purchase necessary to enter or win. Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the 50 states and the District of Columbia and who are at least 18 years of age at time of entry. For this giveaway, entrants can enter 1 time. We will disqualify any entries that we believe are generated by scripts and other automated technology and Threaded Together assumes no responsibility for late or misdirected entries due to SPAM, technological issues or for prizes lost in transit. No substitutions including for cash are permitted, except Threaded Together reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater monetary value for any prize. Void where prohibited by law. Winners shall be responsible and liable for all federal, state, and local taxes on the value of their prize. Relatives of Threaded Together are not eligible to win.
Because this is a family site and we get a lot of spam comments, all comments on this site are moderated. If you comment doesn’t show up right away, don’t worry!