Here’s another recipe from the Gooseberry Patch Slow-Cooker Christmas Favorites cookbook. When I saw this recipe for Hearty Pumpkin Chili from Claire Bertram of Lexington, KY, I was intrigued. I love everything pumpkin, but usually think of it more as an ingredient for sweet culinary treats, rather than those which are savory. I loved this recipe! I also loved that I had everything I needed to make it in my kitchen pantry (except for the green pepper, but if you’ve followed Threaded Together at all, you’ll know that this is on my “optional” list!).
It is not too late to enter the giveaway for a chance to have a copy of this cookbook for your own collection. Complete rules are outlined on this first Threaded Together blog post and leave a comment related to your favorite holiday time-saver (Facebook comments will not be counted). The drawing will be done Sunday evening, October 26, at 9:59 p.m. EST.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup green and/or yellow pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 14 ½ oz. can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 1 ½ Tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Garnish: shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add turkey, onion, green and/or yellow pepper and garlic; cook until turkey is browned and vegetables are tender.
- Spoon turkey mixture into a slow cooker.
- Stir in undrained tomatoes, pumpkin, and seasonings.
- Cover and cook on low setting for 4 to 5 hours.
- Garnish individual servings with cheese and sour cream. Makes 4 to 6 servings.