There are just some things that make you think of the holiday season. My mom’s Microwave English Toffee is one of those things. In the past, I haven’t had much luck making this myself, so when my mom was in town this week, I had her make it and teach me how. Our batch turned out beautifully!
I know the holidays are over, but this toffee is great to bring to a party, keep around for a special treat, or just when you are craving something sweet.
A few things that I learned while making this with my mom:
Place tin foil on a cookie sheet to make clean up easier.
Stir, stir, stir! If you don’t stir everything well, then you will get a greasy and oily layer on top of your toffee and it will not set properly.
Make sure that it spreads out evenly. Our toffee was so thick that it is hard to bite off pieces!
- 1 cup butter (must be butter)
- 1 small (6 oz) package of chocolate chips
- 1 box dark brown sugar (must be dark brown sugar)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (optional)
- In a 2qt bowl, cook butter for 1 1/2 minutes until melted.
- Stir in brown sugar and cook 8-9 minutes or to the hard crack stage.
- Pour mixture on a greased cookie sheet and spread out. Let cool for a minute or two.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips. When chocolate chips are shiny, spread to cover. Sprinkle with nuts if desired.
- Refrigerate to set.
- Break into small pieces.