Crochet Colorado Flag Hat – An Update!

posted in: yarn craft | 23

Crochet Colorado Flag Hat Pattern FREE - threadedtogether.comThis beanie was one of the first patterns I wrote using crochet.  I have learned a great many things since that day about my own crochet techniques, the techniques of others, and how to best write crochet patterns.  Admittedly, I much prefer writing knitting patterns…it is much more methodical and mathematical in my opinion, which definitely appeals to my left-leaning brain (I tried using left-braindedness but spell check does NOT like that word).

A lot of you have asked questions, contributed your ideas, and what not, and those parts and pieces have all made it possible for me to become better in my craft.

So what will you find in this new pattern?

• A more concise way of explaining the steps that hopefully new, and seasoned crocheters alike, will be able to follow
  • Additional directions for Youth and Toddler
  • A PDF version for you to save and use whenever you please

If you would prefer to use the OLD, original pattern, here is the link to it.

Before I get to the new pattern, here are a few notes that address frequently asked questions:

1. CHECK YOUR GUAGE.  A few people sited that this hat came out WAY too big when they crochet it.  If you are a lose crocheter (or just think I am a tight crocheter!), you may want to go down a needle size, or cut out the last round of increases to keep the hat smaller.  We all crochet differently.
  2. The main Colorado flag colors are blue, white, red and yellow.  I usually use Caron’s Dark Country Blue, or Royal Blue.  But feel free to play around with other combinations!
    • For Bronco’s colors I use Caron’s Persimmon, Dark Country Blue, Grey Heather, and White
    • For Avalanche colors, I use Caron’s Royal Blue, Grey Heather, Burgundy, and White
    • Or go girly with different pinks and purples

CLICK HERE FOR THE NEW CROCHET COLORADO PDF PATTERN or see below!

Click here to save it to your Ravelry Library

Crochet Colorado Flag Hat

Yarn:

Caron Simply Soft in four colors A) dark country blue, B) white, C) yellow D) red

Hook:

Adult and Toddler sizes: Size H and I crochet hooks

Youth size: Size G and H hooks (I for the Colorado “C”)

tapestry needle

Gauge:

15 sts x 12 rows = 4 inch on size I hook, alternating 1 row of sc and 1 row of dc

Finished Size:

Toddler – 16” circumference

Youth – 18” circumference

Adult – 20” circumference

Basic Skills:

Crochet basic sts, crochet in round

Rating: beginning/intermediate

ABBREVIATIONS:

Sts – stitches

Ch – chain

Dc – double crochet

Sc – single crochet

Beg – beginning

NOTE: the ch2 or ch3 at the beginning of all the rounds counts at the first st in each round throughout entire pattern!

ADULT:

Round 1: With I hook and color A, ch 4, join into ring, ch3, work 11 dc in ring, join (12 sts)

Round 2: ch2, sc in same st then work 2 sc in each dc, join in top of beg ch (24 sts)

Round 3: ch3, dc in same st, dc in next st, *2dc in next st, dc in next st* around, join in top of beg ch (36 sts)

Round 4: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Round 5: ch3, dc in same st, dc in each of next 2 sts, *2 dc in next st, dc in next two sts* around, join in top of beg ch (48 sts)

Round 6: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Round 7: ch3, dc in same st, dc in next 3 sts, *2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts* around, join in top of beg ch (60 st)

Round 8: ch2, sc around, join

Round 9: ch3, dc in same st, dc in next 4 sts, *2 dc in next st, dc in next four sts* around, join in top of beg ch (72 sts)

Rounds 10, 12: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Rounds 11, 13: ch3, dc around, join in top of beg ch

Join Color B and use to crochet the following rounds –

Rounds 14, 16, 18: repeat round 10

Rounds 15, 17: repeat round 11

Cut Color B and resume crocheting with Color A and size H crochet hook (this will create a tighter brim on your hat) –

Rounds 19, 21: Repeat round 11

Rounds 20, 22: Repeat round 10

Cut yarn and weave in all ends using a tapestry needle.

COLORADO “C” (all sizes) –

Round 1: With I hook and Color C, ch 4, join to form a loop, ch3, 11 DC into loop (12 sts)

Cut Color C, leaving a long tail, but leave current loop on crochet hook

Round 2: Join previous round using Color D, ch 3, dc into same st, 2 dc in next 10 sts (you are leaving the last Color C st from previous round unworked)

Cut Color D and finish off.

FINISHING

Using tapestry needle and long tails from “C,” sew “C” onto hat over the white stripe.  I offset the “C” to the side on my hats, but this doesn’t really matter in you have a nice invisible seam up the back of your hat.

Weave in all ends. Add a pom pom if desired.

YOUTH:

This is worked with the SAME DIRECTIONS as the Adult size, except different sized hooks are used.

Round 4: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Round 6: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Round 8: ch2, sc around, join

Rounds 10, 12: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Rounds 11, 13: ch3, dc around, join in top of beg ch

Join Color B and use to crochet the following rounds –

Rounds 14, 16, 18: repeat round 10

Rounds 15, 17: repeat round 11

Rounds 19, 21: Repeat round 11

Rounds 20, 22: Repeat round 10

Cut yarn and weave in all ends using a tapestry needle.

COLORADO “C” (all sizes) –

Cut Color C, leaving a long tail, but leave current loop on crochet hook

Cut Color D and finish off.

FINISHING

Weave in all ends. Add a pom pom if desired.

TODDLER:

Round 1: With I hook and Color A, ch 4, join into ring, ch3, work 11 dc in ring, join (12 sts)

Round 4: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Round 6: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Rounds 8, 10: ch2, sc around, join in top of beg ch

Rounds 9, 11: ch3, dc around, join in top of beg ch

Join Color B and use to crochet the following rounds –

Rounds 12, 14, 16: repeat round 8

Rounds 13, 15: repeat round 9

Rounds 17, 19: Repeat round 9

Rounds 18, 20: Repeat round 8

Cut yarn and weave in all ends using a tapestry needle.

COLORADO “C” (all sizes) –

Cut Color C, leaving a long tail, but leave current loop on crochet hook

Round 2: Join previous round using Color D, ch 3, dc into same st, 2 dc in next 10 sts (you are leaving the last Color C from previous round unworked)

Cut Color D and finish off.

FINISHING

Weave in all ends. Add a pom pom if desired.

23 Responses

1. Joan

Love the hat and now I need to learn how to crochet!

• Marissa

Thanks! I highly recommend it…you will never regret learning. :)

2. shara

I’m a little confused about how to get the red on the yellow with leaving a tail. Also, should the yellow be closed up somehow? There seems to be a gap. Unless that fills in with the red. And 5 chains seems to be a lot? Sorry I just love this pattern and would like to do it correctly!

• Marissa

Here is a quick you tube video about joining a color in the round. As you finish the yellow round, you join it, but instead of using the yellow you use a strand of red. This closes the yellow circle (the gap problem you were referring to) and brings in the red. In the video, notice how she holds the two short tails of yarn along the row of stitches from the previous row…this method crotchets the tails into the piece so you don’t have to weave in ends, which should fix your confusion with the tails. I recommend you stitch the tails in this way for at least 8 stitches. It’s a pretty invisible way to get rid of tails in the middle of your work. For the five chains for the red: the Colorado C has pretty sharp edges. If you do fewer chains, the top part of the C on the hat will be too rounded off and it won’t match the top part of the red. But you can change this as you prefer it to look. Hope all that helps! Here’s the VIDEO

3. shara

That helps so much!! Thank you!

4. shara

I’m having trouble with the third round of this pattern. There aren’t only 36 stitches. It comes to be more than that somehow. I’m not sure where I’m going wrong. Are you counting the first three chains as one stitch, like you do to create the first round of 12 double crochets?

• Marissa

Yes, the first chain (1 or 3 depending on the row) does count as the first stitch of each row throughout the entire project. When you join rows, join in the top of the beginning chain of the previous row. I always have problems adding or losing stitches each row when I crochet!

5. shara

Ah I think the first of the single crochet row is where I’m going wrong. Thanks!

6. Linda

I’m assuming this is an adult size. Do you have any recommendations for a 2 year old?
    my daughter lives in CO and sent me this pattern in hopes that I could make the hats for her family.
    Thanks.

• Marissa

Linda,
      This is an adult size. I did actually make one for a two year old but I cannot remember at how many stitches I stopped increasing. Most likely row 3 or row 5. This would give you a total of 36 or 48 stitches total in each row. I would recommend to crochet a total of 9 or 11 rows before changing to the white, and then finish the directions as they are written. I’ll let you know if I get some time to crochet a toddler size one again soon! Sorry I couldn’t be more help!
      Marisa

7. Jacque

Not sure what I did wrong but mine turned out huge!!! I counted the stiches to 72 and it was so big still. I must have done something wrong.

• Marissa

Oh no, sorry to hear! You are probably just a really loose crocheter. The fix would be either taking stitches out of the initial row (and taking account for that as the pattern goes on), or just trying to hold more tension in your yarn as you are crocheting.

8. Rachael H

I wish I would have read the comments first. This hat is enormous. It’s even too big for my husbands head who can’t wear a standard mans size hat. 5.5 mm hook and 72 stitches = a giant unusable hat. I looked at a few men’s patterns and they all max out around 60 stitches so I’m going to remake it following a different stitch count. I just wanted to give readers a heads up. Also I am a not a loose stitcher and I even decreased the last few rows to 67 stitches which still fit hubby loose. Cute design though! Thanks. I’ll make another one.

9. MAARJA

DO HAVE THIS HAT PATTERN WITH KNITTING INSRUCTION INSTEAD OF CROCHET INSRUCTION?
    THANKS IN ADVANCE IF YOU DO.

• Marissa

Sorry, I don’t. I will definitely let you know if I write one up :)

10. joy

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! i could not find a pattern for this hat that i didnt have to pay for.
    We moved to Colorado last year and have seen these hats around, they look so good i just had to make one.
    I have made 5 beanies and 1 headband using your pattern. :)

• Marissa

Thank you so much for the comment! I’m glad the pattern has worked out so well for you! If you don’t mind my asking, did you have any issues with the sizing as other people have had? I have remade it several times and it comes out just right for me each time. Curious to hear if that is true for anyone else!

11. Sharon

Tried original pattern and it turned out great, just count your stitches. Could be that they are not using the thread that you suggested and that is why their hat turned out so large. I have since made the hat in different colors, some solid, some striped, some plain, some with flowers (instead of the Colorado C) , some in Bronco colors with a larger C and a pom pom on top (this one is a big hit) and they all turned out to be beautiful hats. You can be as creative as you like with the same basic pattern. Give the hat a try with the yarn suggested and I think you will have better luck with the size.

• Marissa

Wow Sharon, thank you SO MUCH for the input! I am so happy to hear this pattern has worked well for you. I would love if you are able to share some pictures of your versions!

12. Judy Jordan

I used 5.5 mm yarn and a J needle because it was what I had and ended up with a cap that resembled a 2 quart bowl. However, I was able to make the pattern work by eliminating round 9. From there I repeated round 10 and 11 except I did not chain 3 times for the dc’s. It turned out lovely.

13. shae maestas

I am confused on rnd5: *2 dc, dc2* to me that seems like the same thing. Can you help? Thank you

• Marissa

2 dc, dc 2: means to double crochet two stitches in the same stitch then double crochet once in each of the next two stitches.
      This will be the same for the rest of the remaining increase rows: 2dc, dc 3: double crochet two stitches in the same stitch, then double crochet once in each of the next three stitches
      etc., etc.
      Hope that helps!

• shae maestas

omg I had a dumb moment! I shoulg have known that! thanks so much:)