It’s really amazing that amidst our kitchen renovation, we have only gone out to eat ONE time. Despite all the horror stories we heard about kitchens being inoperable for weeks at a time, we have managed to eat at home every night but one. I’m here to tell you, it can definitely be done. If you are DIYing your renovation of course.
I spent my day putting kitchen cabinets together. Six items have been screwed, nailed, and roughly located where they are supposed to be. I have already questioned the size of one of the cabinets (I think it’s too wide), and one cabinet and one drawer unit were damaged in the box. So far, no missing pieces like screws etc in the boxes themselves. All and all, I’m pretty happy with the progress!
Tonight I was even able to take a break to help my husband make dinner for our family. Breakfast meals are extremely popular in this house, and we have found that our kids will eat basically anything so long as it is in an egg breakfast bake. We threw this one together tonight because, well, these are the only ingredients we had in our refrigerator! I’m almost a week over due for grocery shopping. The kids are going to have to start taking buttered tortillas to school for their main lunch meal pretty soon here.
The egg bake turned out FANTASTIC and is chock full of amazing things (that the kids can’t taste because it is chopped small and disguised by sausage)! Did you know mushrooms are a great source of vitamin D? Not to mention fiber, potassium, and iron. Asparagus is great for vitamin A and C and fiber as well. Both of these ingredients are in our weekly meals and luckily, though my kids hate vegetables, they don’t really argue too much about eating them. Dinner, however, sure is a heck of a lot nicer when I can hide them in a delicious dish that everyone loves! I think my mom would even enjoy this if I didn’t tell her about the mushrooms, which she usually can’t stand.
- 1 lb roll of all natural pork sausage
- 1/3 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 bunch of asparagus
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional if on a paleo/whole 30/etc. diet)
- 6 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisky 6 eggs in a large bowl.
- Mix in cheese.
- Over medium/high heat, brown sausage in a deep sauté pan.
- Remove with slotted spoon and add to the bowl of eggs, retaining drippings in pan.
- Add onion, pepper, mushrooms, and asparagus to drippings in pan. Sauté for 5 - 7 minutes or until onion is slightly translucent and asparagus is cooked through.
- Add vegetables to egg mixture.
- Mix ingredients and pour into a buttered 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees on middle rack for 20 minutes or until eggs are set and slightly browned on top.