Natasha Slouchy Hat Pattern

posted in: yarn craft | 17

I’m a bit uninspired for a blog post today.  There is really not much new going on in my life right now.  We are still building kitchen cabinets and it is still COLD outside.  Winter break has begun for my children so we are spending longer and longer in our pajamas each morning.  Despite my hum drum days, I still wanted to share this new hat pattern with you while it is fresh in my brain.

Natasha Slouchy Hat - ThreadedTogether.com

Natasha is a super chunky hat made from Lion Brand’s Wool Ease Thick and Quick, and there is no doubt your ears will stay warm wearing this one.  The brim is first knit flat in seed stitch and then the body is knit in the round in fishermen’s rib.  Fishermen’s rib is a member of the brioche knitting family and creates a loose knit perfect for slouchy style hats. I am able to complete this from start to finish in less than a couple hours, so knitting it is a great way to pass the time while my husband is rewatching his Star Wars movies.

See below for the pattern, or click here to download Natasha in PDF form.

Click here to see the pattern on Ravelry!

As always, please feel free to ask questions about my patterns and kindly report any errata.  Be sure you read through the ENTIRE pattern and CHECK YOUR GUAGE before you begin knitting.

Thank you so much for your great support and all the kind words about my previous pattern, the Jill Beanie!

Take a look at my other patterns here on Threaded Together, or on Ravelry.

Natasha Slouchy Hat - ThreadedTogether.com

Natasha Slouchy Hat

Yarn: Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Wheat

Needles: Size 13 US (9 mm) straight and 16″ circular needles (DPNs for crown if desired)

Gauge: 9 sts x 16 rows = 4 inch on size 13 US (9mm) needles in seed st

Yardage: 89 – 104 yards (less than one skein including pom pom)

Finished Size

Toddler (Youth, Adult)

Toddler – 16” circumference

Youth – 17” circumference

Adult – 18” circumference

Basic Skills: Knitting flat, knitting in the round, fishermen’s rib

Rating: Intermediate

Natasha Slouchy Hat - ThreadedTogether.comAbbreviations:

st(s) – stitch(es)

CO – Cast on

rnd – round

sl – slip st from left needle to right needle without knitting it

k – knit

p – purl

yo –  wrap the yarn from front to back and work the next st like normal (if the yo is preceded by a purl st, the yarn is already wear it belongs…simply knit the next st without returning the yarn to the back of the needle)

k1b (knit one below) – Insert the needle into the knit stitch below the stitch on the needle, knit both sts as if they were one, and slide both stitches off the needle)

p1b – (purl one below) – Insert the needle into the purl stitch below the stitch on the needle, purl both sts as if they were one, and slide both stitches off the needle)

pm – place marker

slm – slip marker

k2tog – knit two sts together

Brim:

On straight needles, CO 7 (9, 11) sts.  Or, desired odd number of sts.

Row 1: Sl1, *k1, p1; repeat from * to end

Repeat Row 1 until band measures 16.5″ (17.5″, 18.5″) from CO edge.

Button hole row:

For Toddler (creates one button hole): Sl1, k1, p1, yo, k2tog, k1 ,p1

For Youth (creates two button holes): Sl1, k1, yo, k2tog, p1, yo, k2tog, k1, p1

For Adult (creates two button holes): Sl1, k1, p1, yo, k2tog, k1, p1, yo, k2tog, k1, p1

All sizes:

Repeat Row 1 two more times.

Bind off stitches.  Do not cut yarn.

Body:

Switch to circular needles.

Hold band so the end with the button hole is on the right and your single remaining stitch from binding off is still on the needle, on the top side of the band.

Evenly pick up 34 (36, 38 sts) around the top of the band. I do not overlap any part of the band in this process, but you may if you like.

PM, join to knit in the round.  Slm marker each round.

Rnd 1: *k1, p1; repeat from * to end

Rnd 2: *k1b, p1; repeat from * to end

Rnd 3: *k1, p1b; repeat from * to end

Repeat Rnds 2 and 3 until hat measures 8″ (9″, 10″) from bottom of brim, or desired length.

Crown:

Rnd 1: k2tog to end of rnd [17 (18, 19) sts remain]

Rnd 2: k2tog to end of rnd, k last remaining st on toddler and adult sizes [9 (9, 10) sts remain]

Finishing:

Cut yarn leaving a long tail and use a tapestry needle to thread it through the remaining sts and pull tight.  Fasten off on inside of hat.

Attach button(s) on the end of the brim that does not have the button hole(s).

Make a pom pom with the main color and a contrasting color if desired.  Secure to top of hat.

Weave in all ends on hat.  I do a bit extra around the top of the band to make it more secure and prevent a hole from forming where the two ends were joined.

Natasha Slouchy Hat - ThreadedTogether.com

17 Responses

1. Barbara Ann Berry

Hello Marissa, I love this pattern but I can’t seem to see just how much Lion Brand Wool Ease Thick and Quick in Wheat to buy for either sized hats. I want to make this hat and would appreciate this information. Thanks in advance and have a wonderful day.
    Barbara Ann

• Marissa

Hey Barbara! Thanks for stopping by and for the great question! The adult size uses 104 yards, including the pom pom. That is JUST under one skein of Thick & Quick (106 yards in a skein). The toddler size uses 89 yards. I don’t have a youth version to measure right now, but it is probably right between those two. Long story short, one skein should complete any size of these hats, including their pom pom.

2. Flash Ragler

I so wish this was crochet it is lovely was dissapointed when learned it ws knit. Crochet vesrsion would be awesome thank you anyway for sharing this lovely hat

3. Rebecca

Fantastic hat! Thank you so much for sharing the link to my tutorial; I appreciate it and I’m glad you found it helpful for your readers :-)

• Marissa

Thanks Rebecca and absolutely! It was simple and to the point with good visuals and instructions. Thanks for sharing it!

4. Caroline Maule-ffinch

How can I learn to knit?

• Marissa

You can take classes at any big box craft stores, or local knitting shops. I taught myself using one of those learn to knit kits. It came with a DVD, instruction booklet, and a few key needle sizes. All I had to do was buy the yarn and practice!

5. vivian

Marissa
    I noticed that in the photograph of the child wearing the hat the button is showing and in the adult version the button is unbuttoned and the band is open and doesn’t go all the way around her head. I like the child version, can that be achieved for the adult version?

• Marissa

Hey Vivian! The toddler, child and adult versions all have working buttons and can be worn either way – unbuttoned as more of a bonnet style (this is the way I ALWAYS wear mine) or buttoned as more of a super slouchy beanie. The toddler size only has one button hole worked into the pattern, whereas the youth and adult each have two button holes (due to the width of the bands). So, long story short, yes. You just button the buttons and turn the hat so they are on the side. Thanks for asking!

6. Ginny

is there is crochet pattern for the Natasha slouchy hat?

• Marissa

Sorry Ginny, not at this time.

7. Deborah McPherson

I love the pattern for a band around my head. It works great and the edges are so nice. Thanks so much! Sometime when I can manage to spin the right yarn for the hat, I want to make a slouch hat, too.

• Marissa

Ooh yay! That is fantastic Deborah! I have been saying it for years, but one of these days I am going to start spinning my own yarn. My husband should be afraid. Very, very afraid. ;)

8. Mouduna

I just finished knitting a version of this hat! Before I go on, I should mention that the particular brand of wool, needle size, as well as circular-needles are unavailable in my country. But I improvised a little and managed to make it (had to sew the tow sides of the hat together, and make the button hole by casting-off a few stitches and then casting-on again). And it turned out BEAUTIFUL! Thank you SO much for sharing this pattern and inspiring me for my first project!

• Marissa

I am so glad you were able to make a version that worked well for you! Congrats on your first project!

9. Gale

I am still confused about the buttons. The instructions say you do not overlap the band. I interpret this to mean the end of the bands meet but are not overlapped. If this is correct, I don’t understand how the buttons will go into the buttonholes and lie smoothly. I am making the youth size and want to button the band. Thanks

10. Val

Marissa

This child’s slouch hat that I just found at 3 o’clock in the morning (couldn’t sleep) is the cutest hat I’ve EVER seen (and the little girl is model is just adorable). I can’t wait to make one. I make hats for charity but since it is August and hot, I will wait until October. Besides, I am going on a scrapbooking Caribbean cruise next week.